Quinta do Pégo is a vineyard situated on the way from Regua to Pinhao - approximately 3 km before Pinhao on the right hand - in the Douro Valley in Portugal. Quinta do Pégo is situated 138 m. above the surface of the Douro River and the vineyards are situated up to 350 m. above the surface of the Douro River. Without doubt it is one of the most beautifully situated Quintas in the Douro Valley.
Since January 2000, Quinta do Pégo has been owned 50% by AMKA and since September 2003 Quinta do Pégo has been owned 100% by AMKA who is in charge of the whole project. Quinta do Pégo owns an area of approximately 33 ha. - approximately 30 ha. is planted with vines. The land is classified in group A, which is the absolute best group.
Quinta do Pégo’s first vintage is Vintage 2000, which is delivered with the text “Quinta do Pégo Virgin Vintage 2000” printed on the cork. In every case lies a beautiful reproduction of the Quinta, which has been painted by the famous English painter, John O’Connor.
It has been produced from grapes from old vines which were found on the vineyard when the present owners took over the Quinta. Vintage 2000 is a wonderful port of the very best quality. It has a beautiful ruby-red colour, delicate bouquet of forest fruit, elegant, rich and well-balanced taste as well as a long and very pleasant aftertaste.
Quinta do Pégo Vintage 2000 is bottled in 26,360 bottles of 75 cl., 500 bottles of 150 cl. and 4,000 bottles of 37,5 cl. (in total app. 22,000l.)
- Gold at the Wine Masters Challenge 2009 in Portugal
- 5 out of 5 stars at www.vinavisen.dk in week 42, 2002
- ErhvervsBladet the 11th October 2002 about Quinta do Pégo Vintage 2000: "Intense, black, rich, full-bodied with juicy fruit and a great maturing potential. First vintage from an up-coming superstar. This must be an obvious investment opportunity."
- Reviewed in Go'Morgen Danmark on TV2 the 3rd December 2002: Both Michael Meyerheim, Tim Vollerslev and Per Pallesen: 6 out of 6 glas = An exceptionally good experience compared to the price
- 4 out of 6 stars in Nordjyske Stiftstidende the 19th December 2002
- Gold medal at the "Wine Masters Challenge" in March 2003 in Portugal
- "Diploma di Gran Menzione" at Vinitaly 2003
- 4 out of 5 stars - 16,9 out of 20 points (=Very good to excellent) in Decanter, December 2003